How to create, edit, or delete a segment
To create a new segment, go to the “Contacts” section, select “Segments”, and click the “Add segment” button at the bottom left.
A form for the creation of a new segment will open. To give it a name, just click on the title and write the name in the field that appears.
The next step is to determine the conditions for a visitor being put in the segment.
Important point! Conditions can be connected through AND (top block) or through OR (bottom block). The combination of conditions in AND means that visitors will fall into the segment if all the conditions are met. For example, “Name filled” AND “email filled” means that people with both a known name and a known email address will fall into the segment. If you only know one parameter, the visitor will not be placed in this segment.
The combination of conditions in OR means that visitors who have at least one of the specified conditions met will get into the segment. For example, if we want to build a segment of visitors from large cities, we need to create the condition “city equals Moscow” OR “city equals St. Petersburg” OR “city equals Novosibirsk”, etc.
AND and OR conditions can be combined. For example, a segment for visitors from major cities who have made one or more purchases will look like this:
As you set the parameters, the counter at the bottom of the form will show the number of visitors entering the segment.
Conditions in the segment creation form:
- Characteristic – last name, first name, date of birth, city, number of sessions and orders, UTM labels, etc. For each characteristic, you can select conditions: equal (equal to the specified value), not equal (not equal to the specified value), includes (includes the specified value), does not include (does not include the specified value), filled (the value is set), not filled (the value is not set). For dates you can also choose: earlier, later, X days ago, more than X days ago, less than X days ago, X days before an anniversary.
- Widget – you can select customers who have interacted with a particular widget. To do this, specify the name of the widget and one of the following conditions: viewed, not viewed, closed, not closed, sent (i.e. the user clicked on the button), not sent. If you are only interested in the interaction of visitors with the widget over the last few days, you can set this as a condition too.
- Event – occurred or not. To use events as a segmenting tool, you must create them first. For events, you can also set the frequency: happened X times in the last Y days.
- Item – whether a specific item was purchased or not within a specified time interval.
- Category of products – whether goods from a certain category were bought or not in a specified time interval.
- Mailing – whether a mailing was sent and how the user interacted with it: moved, looked, closed, or unsubscribed within a specified time interval.
After you have created a segment, be sure to click on the “Save” button. The new segment will immediately appear in the general list of segments on the left. You will be able to click on it and see all visitors in it and analytics on them.
Editing and deleting a segment
To edit or delete a segment, hover over it and wait for the pop-up label with the “Edit” and “Delete” icons. Choose one and click on it.